IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Out of Memory Error? Options · View
Steve Mason
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:54:03 PM

Hi

I am getting an out of memory error on the output screen of a project. The project itself it just performing a SQL query on an oracle database (returning around 9000 rows of data) and placing the data into a CSV file (which would be around 1.5Mb in size). My machine has 4Gb of RAM which I would assume is plenty to perform this task?

Is this a common issue that anyone else has??
vlad
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:39:07 PM

This makes no sense - MapForce is writing CSV files sequentially (unless you are using some old MapForce version), i.e. it doesn't matter how much data you try to export.

It is really time to contact Altova Support with all the details so that they can reproduce your issues. None of them should be a problem.
pfisher44
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:24:09 PM

How many data points do you have in the map ? Once you hit about 3,000 the output phase of the map may crash. you also may have issues even processing small files like 25k if you are wildcarding the input. more than 3 or 4 can then cause problems. as far as i know altova is addressing these particular ones, not sure if they apply to your issue.

Steve Mason wrote:
Hi

I am getting an out of memory error on the output screen of a project. The project itself it just performing a SQL query on an oracle database (returning around 9000 rows of data) and placing the data into a CSV file (which would be around 1.5Mb in size). My machine has 4Gb of RAM which I would assume is plenty to perform this task?

Is this a common issue that anyone else has??
Steve Mason
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:04:56 AM

The database connection has two SQL queries in it. Both queries give the same column outputs (56 columns, so 112 in total). The two queries are mapped to a CSV file again with 56 columns so nothing really hefty there.

I tried the same project in the 64-bit version of Mapforce with 8Gb of RAM and the result was actually worse. On trying to open the project file the memory usage kept rising until it maxed out the RAM and it stayed maxed out until I terminated the program (about 10 minutes later)!
vlad
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:10:01 AM

As I said, you should contact Altova Support with your mapping for verification.

But if you want us to guess: you are probably somehow badly merging your SQL statements in memory which causes such a weird issue. With a proper mapping you should never run in such a situation. It is just very tiring to attempt to help you without seeing what you do.

P.S. you don't even want to tell us what MapForce version you are using. Not sure if you want us to help you at all.
Steve Mason
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:58:40 PM

Vlad

No-one asked what version I am using but FYI, it's the latest version. And if I didn't want help I obviously wouldn't be posting on this forum.

Support have confirmed that the mapping is fine as expected and that it may in fact be some sort of driver error.
erinidem
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2013 2:09:06 PM

Don't know if this is your issue, but I know if you use a MapForce "SELECT Statement", it can fill up the memory.
MapForce "SELECT Statements" seem to pull everything into memory to use whereas adding a view from the database doesn't.

That is always an issue I run into if I don't think it through properly.
eamankwahmanu
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:45:38 PM

Vlad,

Sometimes your response to postings rather make new users of this tool confused as to whether they were asking for help or asking for insults. In the quest to wanting to help people, you need to tone down the way you do it. I have read so many post of yours which ends up insulting the people who needs help and not for someone to tell them they are stupid or something. I am sure someone might have helped you along the way for you to have reached the level you are now.

So please respond to solutions and not insults. If you feel you cant help then do not respond at all to any post.

Thank you.
a concern user.
vlad
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 8:57:09 AM

You are actually right - I can now indeed relax and not answer majority of questions - there are enough pros coming to this forum and helping others. I hope you will also soon come to this forum not to ask but to answer.

This was not the same in the past though when I had to answer every question again and again. What made me mad - people are coming and asking for help without even trying to make themselves clear. It is like they feel that the whole world owes them the answers and will for sure willingly dig into their problems.

Also, most of them would not even try to search in this forum whether their question has already been answered or not. You see, you've spent a lot of time reading my previous answers - thank you! Unfortunately, big majority of people don't do. And I don't even dare to say - if they would just look into documentation, this forum would remain almost empty...

And what amazes me to death - how stubbornly people are trying to get an answer in this forum instead of going directly to Altova Support, even though the very first lines you read when you come here: this is not a Support Forum! If you need a professional and reliable answer,... please contact Altova Support (hyperlink) instead.

And what makes me simply cry, is that if I ask people for 1000th time to contact Altova Support, they tell me - cool idea, how do I do that???

All I want to say - I'm happy to help people. But I hate if they ask for help just being lazy to do their (minimal) homework. People who are coming here to ask are professionals, earning money for this very job of learning tools properly and using them.