IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Running into error: Tutorial : SimpleType Options · View
vvenk
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 2:23:22 PM

Hello:

I was following the Tutorials to refresh basic concepts since I have been away from XML for a while.
When I was following the instrcutions on Complex and Simple Types, I am running into an error situation.
I created a simpletype called US-State. I then referenced it as the Type when I created a new element under US-Address called State.

But when I tried to save the file, it says that the file has errors. The error is not quite self-explanatory and I am not able to decipher what I did wrong.

What am I doing wrong?

File Attachment(s):
XMLSPY_Error.docx (64kb) downloaded 444 time(s).

island
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:50:16 AM

Hi,

if you expand the "Details" section in the Messages window it takes you to the pertinent part of the schema specification.

i.e.

Schema Component Constraint: Element Declarations Consistent
Code:

If the {particles} contains, either directly, indirectly (that is, within the {particles} of a contained model group, recursively) or ·implicitly· two or more element declaration particles with the same {name} and {target namespace}, then all their type definitions must be the same top-level definition, that is, all of the following must be true:

1 all their {type definition}s must have a non-·absent· {name}.
2 all their {type definition}s must have the same {name}.
3 all their {type definition}s must have the same {target namespace}.

Basically the two "State" elements have to be of the same type. If this were not the case there may be situations in which it is not clear whether a "State" element in the xml instance document should be validated according to the "State" element which is of type "string" or the "State" element of type "US-State".element.