IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Product catalog layout Options · View
sylvain.priser
Posted: Monday, April 3, 2017 2:52:46 PM

Hi altova users !

I'm looking for the best way to design a product list document (PDF Output), as shown on picture below :

I found this post https://www.altova.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1420 that is quite close to my needs except that I would like 3 or 4 columns. I started with a left-to-right table but I don't know what param to use to set a max number of occurence per line.

Expected Layout with 4 columns :

Code:

--------------  Catalog from DD.MM.YYYY  ---------------

------------------------------------------------------------
| Product category A                                                     |

-------------    -------------    -------------    -------------
| Item #1  |    | Item #2  |    | Item #3  |    | Item #4  | 

-------------    -------------    -------------   
| Item #5  |    | Item #6  |    | Item #7  |   
-------------    -------------    -------------   

| Product category B                                                     |

| Item #8  |    | Item #9  |    | Item #10|   | Item #11| 

------------- 
| Item #12| 
------------- 

Here is my data set :

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<catalog date="2017-04-02">
    <category id="Confiserie">
        <article id="71102" desc="AIRWAVES DISPLAY BOTTLES 40PC" img="../img/71102.jpg"/>
        <article id="71100" desc="AIRWAVES DISPLAY BOTTLES 72PC" img="../img/71100.jpg"/>
        <article id="71217" desc="BALISTO CORN-MIX 37G. NOVAE" img="../img/71217.jpg"/>
        <article id="71210" desc="BALISTO YOBERRY WHITE 37G PV" img="../img/71210.jpg"/>
        <article id="71231" desc="BRANCHE CAILLER LAIT L GRATUIT" img="../img/71231.jpg"/>
        <article id="71199" desc="BRANCHE CAILLER LAIT S 23G GR" img="../img/71199.jpg"/>
        <article id="71053" desc="BAZOOKA ORIGINAL &amp; BLUE RAZZ" img="../img/71053.jpg"/>
    </category>
    <category id="Jeux-Jouets">
        <article id="71245" desc="ANIMAUX FERME 10CM 6PC" img="../img/71245.jpg"/>
        <article id="71244" desc="ANIMAUX ZOO 10CM 6PC" img="../img/71244.jpg"/>
        <article id="71066" desc="POKEMON MINI CLASS.SUN&amp;MOON 2" img="../img/71066.jpg"/>
        <article id="71248" desc="VEHICULE 4X4 FRICTION 17CM" img="../img/71248.jpg"/>
        <article id="71021" desc="VIGNETTE NOS P'TITS ANIMAUX" img="../img/71021.jpg"/>
    </category>
</catalog>

I'm using StyleVision 2017 Enterprise, and I can't find any example with tables.. (columns with newspaper style is not applicable).

Any help will be appreciated :)

Regards,
sly

K101
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:30:42 AM

Something like this is possible using XPath grouping. Basically, we want to group the articles into blocks of 4, and make one table per group.

MapForce offers a "group-into-blocks" function, so let's make a mapping which does that, and see what kind of grouping XPath it generates.

Code:
<xsl:for-each-group select="article" group-adjacent="((fn:position() - xs:integer('1')) idiv xs:positiveInteger(xs:integer(xs:decimal('4'))))">

The example mapping (included in the zip archive below) ends up generating a group-adjacent attribute using a position-based XPath expression as you can see in the XSLT 2 code excerpt above, so we do the same kind of grouping on the "article" node template in our StyleVision design, though simplified to "( fn:position() - 1 ) idiv 4".

We create a table for the current-group node template, and make it grow left/right, and set the column width to 25%.

Obviously you could extend this by making the number of columns a parameter, and change the grouping XPath to divide by that instead of fixed "4" (and compute the column width as 100 divided by the number of columns), but I leave that to you.

Hope this helps.

File Attachment(s):
2017-04-03, Product catalog layout.zip (10kb) downloaded 670 time(s).

sylvain.priser
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 11:06:24 AM

Hi K101

in one word : PERFECT !

Thank you very much for your reply with items attached, it's just great.
Based on your design I will be able to provide buisiness teams with an example of what is possible through StyleVision ! I didn't know this MapForce feature, quite powerful !

Moreover, it hope that this case-study can help other designers.

Thank you once again