IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

EDI output...max line length of 80 characters Options · View
BadgerSptNC
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 12:18:28 PM

This is a new one for me. I am using MapForce 2015 to create an EDI 855 x12 file from a flat file. The output looks great, and I have had others certified by the military without modification, so I am very pleased with MapForce's performance.

Unfortunately, one of our trading partners has said this won't work. They want the lines at a max of 80 characters. It appears only the ISA segment of the document is longer than that.

I can do this from C# code that actually outputs the file using a library, but is there a setting I can use in MapForce to do it? I didn't see where and the help documentation doesn't mention anything about it.
pfisher44
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:46:01 PM

so they are accepting CRLF terminated at 80 characters basically ?
nope, you'll have to post process the file.

BadgerSptNC wrote:
This is a new one for me. I am using MapForce 2015 to create an EDI 855 x12 file from a flat file. The output looks great, and I have had others certified by the military without modification, so I am very pleased with MapForce's performance.

Unfortunately, one of our trading partners has said this won't work. They want the lines at a max of 80 characters. It appears only the ISA segment of the document is longer than that.

I can do this from C# code that actually outputs the file using a library, but is there a setting I can use in MapForce to do it? I didn't see where and the help documentation doesn't mention anything about it.
BadgerSptNC
Posted: Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:29:10 PM

pfisher44 wrote:
so they are accepting CRLF terminated at 80 characters basically ?
nope, you'll have to post process the file.

BadgerSptNC wrote:

Okay, I'll do that then. Shouldn't be too hard; it's not a big file.
paul
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2015 8:36:20 AM

You could add another step in MapForce that essentially treats your EDI result as a simple text file, then do something like is shown in the attached screenshot. Depending on what shape your data is in and your actual desired result, not all of the functions may be necessary...

paul attached the following image(s):
screenshot.jpg