IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Using pure XSLT in Altova StyleVision Options · View
MichaelUA
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2020 7:38:15 AM

Hello,

I'm completely new in Altova products. And my question is:

We have Altova StyleVision and using it to create PDFs from XML. In one field I need to use IF condition. So I use XPATH Expression (User-Defined-Template) with IF - THEN - ELSE IF - THEN - ELSE confition. If works fine if I use XSLT 2.0 button in the tool panel. But unfortunately our customer supports only XSLT 1.0. When I press XLST 1.0 button this structure fails - I assume because XSLT 1.0 does not support IF statement.

I realize that instead of IF I could use something like

<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test=...
</xsl:choose>.

But it also fails - I assume because I can use only XPATH, not pure XSLT.

So my question is: is it possible to use pure XSLT container somehow? What other workaround could be used?

Thanks a lot for any answer.
K101
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2020 8:56:12 AM

Why not simply use StyleVision's own condition functionality? That works using XSLT 1.0.
MichaelUA
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2020 9:58:45 AM

K101 wrote:
Why not simply use StyleVision's own condition functionality? That works using XSLT 1.0.

Hello K101,

Thanks for your answer.

But how can I do this? I right-click in Design mode in the field I need, choose "Insert -> Insert condition" and...I see "Edit XPATH expression" again! I've seen it before. I can use IF there, but it does not work with XSLT 1.0.

Maybe I was not too specific. I'll try to explain what my problem is.

Imagine that in incoming file you have two tags: <flag> and <percentage>.

In outgoing PDF I need: if <flag> = 'False' I need -<percentage>*100, if <flag> = 'True' I need <percentage>*100 (without minus char).

What is the best way to implement it, if not IF statement?

Thank you so much
K101
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2020 11:05:26 AM

You don't use an XPath if. The condition cause the creation of the xsl:choose conditional construct in the generated XSLT.

So, the condition XPath in your case would simply be flag = 'False'. Then, inside the condition, you'll put an auto-calculation with '-percentage * 100'.

See the attached example.

File Attachment(s):
example.pxf (71kb) downloaded 149 time(s).

MichaelUA
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2020 4:25:44 PM

K101 wrote:
You don't use an XPath if. The condition cause the creation of the xsl:choose conditional construct in the generated XSLT.

So, the condition XPath in your case would simply be flag = 'False'. Then, inside the condition, you'll put an auto-calculation with '-percentage * 100'.

See the attached example.

Hello K101,

Thank you so much! I followed your advice and it worked just fine.

Thank you again!