IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Profile: Intoil
About
User Name: Intoil
Forum Rank: Member
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 18
[0.10% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: MFD Save Taking Forever
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 10:21:35 PM
All,

I've completed many MapForce mappings and everyone has performed very well when I try to save the actual mapping file (MFD) to disk.

I have this one mapping that I am working on now and it is taking forever (3+ minutes) to save. I've had many other mappings that were far more complicated than this on the same server that save in seconds. This is a beefy Windows Server 2012 server and based on past experience and my current experience with other mappings, I know it is not the server itself.

My source is a SQL Server database on the same server as MF and my target is an XML file on the same server, different spindle. Again, other more complicated mappings than this save very quickly. I believe there is something in this mapping that is causing MF to save very slowly for some reason.

I've gone through the mapping and have stripped stuff out trying to isolate the problem, but no luck.

Two Questions:

Is anyone aware of any known mapping issues (e.g., splitting a target schema using the create variable for Target Node, using the built-in execution engine, etc) that would result in a file taking this long to save?
Is there any way to turn off the 'validate on save' function? I save frequently and it's annoying to have to wait each time.

Thank You!
Topic: SQL Server Synonyms
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:19:24 PM
I've searched the user documentation and can not find an answer to why MapForce does not support SQL Server synonyms in mappings.

I can create a 'select' to a synonym but I can not select a synonym when using the 'Insert Database Object' .

Am I missing something obvious or is this simply not allowed in MapForce.

I tested this in both 2013 and 2014 with the same results.
Topic: MapForce 2014 Out of Memory
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 2:14:30 PM
As it turns out, the server that we were running MapForce on was out of memory because SQL Server was consuming it all.

Thought that I would provide an update.
Topic: MapForce 2014 Out of Memory
Posted: Friday, July 4, 2014 1:44:28 AM
Has anyone run into the 'Out of Memory' error in MapForce 2014. I have a fairly involved mapping but have never received this error before.

Is there a config file somewhere that I can use to control the amount of memory that MapForce will attempt to use? I've looked around and can't seem to find one.

I did see one area that indicated this could be related to the db driver, so I switched from ADO to ODBC Native SQL Server and I still get the same error.

Thanks for your feedback.
Topic: Why does changing a datasource for a mapping require a complete remap of elements?
Posted: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:23:03 PM
All,

I've searched the forum and documentation and can not seem to find an answer to to this question.

Why does changing a datasource for a mapping require a complete remap of elements?

I have two databases that each have the same view definition. I copy the functional MFD file that's pointing to database 1 and change the datasource to database 2 and all of my connections are invalidated.

It's tedious and seems unnecessary to have to spend all this time dragging and dropping the same connections. Am I doing something wrong or is that 'as designed' and I just need to live with it?

Thanks!
Topic: MapForce Builtin Output is slow
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 1:28:47 PM
Could you expand on the statement, "ps. sometimes running the mapping as a standalone is faster than waiting for results in mapforce "?

Why would this be the case?

We too have transformations (sqlserver to xml) of millions of rows of data that can run for up to 10 hours at a time.

We are currently experimenting with splitting the output (chunking) but that really doesn't address the long generation times.

Thanks!
Topic: MapForce Enhancement Requests
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 1:12:12 PM
Good Morning,

I would like the option of setting connectors a particular color. This would be helpful in instances where I use an existing mapping template and want to ensure that I've addressed every connection in the new mapping. For instance, I could bulk set all connections to yellow and as I validate each mapping, change the color to green. Or I could use red to indicate an issue in the mapping requirements that needs to be addressed.

Another nice enhancement would be the ability for me to add more documentation within a mapping. For instance, comment blocks that I could use to put a header on all mappings. And the ability to add comments to anything sort of like in Excel when you add comments to a cell.

I know about the ability to add a description to a connection. That's a nice feature and I know that you can add a constant type of 'other' and it will show the entire string (sort of like a comment). But this is not what I'm asking for here.

One final feature would be the ability to embed a hyperlink into a mapping. This would allow me to link to the specific requirements for an individual element. This would be a huge productivity increase for me and my team.

Thanks!
Topic: How do I Parse RTF data?
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:40:33 PM
There has to be a simple way to do this without writing a plug-in or custom code. RTF has been around forever. I don't have a problem pre-processing the data and stripping the RTF tages outside of MapForce. But there has to be an easy way to do this.
Topic: How do I Parse RTF data?
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:26:11 PM
I have a SQL Server table that contains a notes field that is rtf tagged. I only want the plain text from the note to come through the MapForce mapping. I'm sure this nut has been cracked in the past, but I can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks for your help!
Topic: MapForce Padding SQL Server Char fields
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:12:41 PM
Thanks for your response vlad. I was sort of hoping that MapForce had a configuration parameter (or ADO) where we could tell it to trim the trailing spaces from the char fields. I'm a dreamer I guess. To your point though, there really isn't a downside to using varchar and the mappings look so much cleaner without all trimming. Thank You!

Use of the Altova User Forum(s) is governed by the Altova Terms of Use.