IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

XMI-compatibility with other tools Options · View
Star
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:15:19 AM

Hi,

I just started working with UModel 2009. My intention is to export self created state charts from informations in the database I use. I want to visualize the diagrams and open it with different tools, which support the XMI standard.
To look which tools will work together, I created a state chart in Umodel and exported it as xmi-file. Now I try to import it in other tools which support xmi 2.1. I also tried to import xmi-files in UModel, which were created in other tools.

But thje problems I got are that I cannot import the UModel file e.g. in Enterprise Architect or in the other way.
Do you use your own interpretation of the xmi-standard? When I look in the xmi-file I find tags like "guiRootGuiDiagram", but this is not spezified in the standard-documentaion I got from OMG.

Can you help me? It's the first time I work with XMI. What can I do to use a XMI-file which can be read with other tools? Or can you name me tools, which can work with your exported XMI-files?

Thanks in advance.
Star
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:08:38 PM

Hello again,

has nobody any idea or can tell me what I have to mind when I want to import xmi-files ins UModel?
paul
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:34:04 AM

Hello,

UModel supports the export and import of XMI 2.1.1 for UML 2.0 / 2.1 / 2.1.1 and 2.1.2, 2.2.. If you are having problems with this functionality then please submit a request for support - along with the relevant files - and we will be happy to look into the matter.
Star
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:42:13 PM

Hi,

first thanks for your reply. I read that UModel supports only XMI 2.1 and UML 2.x. Now I tried to import a state chart from Metamill 5.0. This UML tool should also support XMI 2.1 and UML 2.1.

It seems to work because there are no error-messages or something else, but the diagram is not displayed.

When I import an old UModel XMI file, the diagram is displayed automatically.

What is the reason for that?
cor
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:40:10 AM

Hi Star!

The main reason for this is, that XMI specifies how the UML model elements have to be exported but not really how diagrams (showing the elements) have to be exported.
OMG is working on an additional "Diagram Interchange" specification, but this is still under construction.

This is the reason, why UModel exports diagrams as an xmi:Extension and also the "guiRootGuiDiagram" element (you mentioned) is inside such an extension (so this is still valid according to the XMI standard).

Also the standard for model elements is not always exact/many tools to not always export according to the standard but UModel tries to import very fault tolerant and also takes care of some "tool specifics", so if you have problems importing XMI files into UModel, please contact our support center - maybe we can help you.
Star
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 12:51:14 PM

Thanks for this information.
toplearning
Posted: Sunday, May 9, 2010 10:30:57 PM

Thanks for this valuable information.
learnk12
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 10:38:34 AM

Thank you for the tips.