IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Profile: randymarr
About
User Name: randymarr
Forum Rank: Newbie
Location Hilton Head, SC
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: XML Importing Xportin to SQL
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2020 3:29:53 PM
I have 3900 xml files sitting in a directory.
On a weekly basis I manually download, from our SAS provider, approximately 140 or so to add to the count.
They are needing to be imported / exported into a sql server 2014r2 database, which I need to create, along with any relational tables. Not sure how one flat file table would handle 2800 fields.

I have no programing experience in xml, do know they are a bunch of tags...LOL. Just started this past week on Altov XMLSpy 2020.
Before my 30 day license expires, I'm trying to find out if someone with no experience in either can easily:

1. Create a database / and relational tables with the xml schema internally. The xmls have about 2800 tags in total, but not all are used at the same time. I'm familiar enought with sql to get this done, manually, which would take me weeks.
2. Insert or poll the directory where the xml files are in / downloaded and automatically get them imported into the sql server. Once I manually get them using FTP.
3. Would really like to have all this automated if possible.
4. I'm trying to get this imported by field / tag. This would help me use SSRS to create custom reports for my organization.

Now my questions
Since I don't know what I don't know, I'm wondering if Altova can do any / all of the above?
How hard or easy would it be?
Am I way over my head on this?

I've been able to obtain a testxml and related xsd file.

Use of the Altova User Forum(s) is governed by the Altova Terms of Use.