IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Profile: DC Kelley
About
User Name: DC Kelley
Forum Rank: Newbie
Location Greater LA
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 9
[0.05% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Using AltovaXML in programing
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2007 5:47:29 PM
Update: Was able to get a simple GUI screen in VB wrapped around the code in a couple of hours, and now have a nice little utility that lets our novice users quickly see if they got their XML correct to our community of shared schemas. Very nicely done gentlemen, thanks !
Topic: Is this the right tool...
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:54:55 PM
Well yes and no. It the right tool to help you with the presentation layer, but you will likely need XMLSpy and MapForce to help you with the schema (XSD) design and the mapping of that design to a simple SQL DB of some type.

I am presuming here that you have some idea regarding what aspects you would want to do your sorts on (author, pub date, content abstract etc..) and that you can put it into a schema to reflect this, a more robust version of:

Code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified">
    <xs:element name="artitle">
        <xs:annotation>
            <xs:documentation>Comment describing your root element</xs:documentation>
        </xs:annotation>
        <xs:complexType>
            <xs:sequence>
                <xs:element name="topic" type="xs:string"/>
                <xs:element name="company" type="xs:string"/>
                <xs:element name="date" type="xs:dateTime"/>
                <xs:element name="publicaiton" type="xs:string"/>
                <xs:element name="locatedAt" type="xs:anyURI"/>
            </xs:sequence>
        </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>
</xs:schema>

Then you can map this to a simple SQL table (MapForce) and then you can set about designing the visual aspects of it with StyleVision
Topic: Copying groups of items into one field
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2007 11:03:12 PM
I am using MapForce to develop a DB for use with our schemas and have a design problem which the libraries do not seem to solve (and which may be a problem for a user defined function). My need to is to places into a SQL text field all the contents of a specific node (including any child element content) as a well formed XML fragment. I don't see any way to span over a nodes contents to do this. And I will not know the contents (element names) in each instance beforehand. Can I somehow treat it as mixed content (it is not) and use copy-all for this?

Our application allows each user to put any needed meta data content into a <local> node, and this content is not operated on by others or listed in the common schema, but I need to keep it in the SQL records that result.

Topic: Using AltovaXML in programing
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 7:44:01 PM
at: https://www.altova.com/altovaxml.html
Quote:

AltovaXML™ 2007 includes COM, Java, and .NET interfaces so that it can be used from a variety of different applications. You can also call its functionality from the command line. There is no license keycode required to activate AltovaXML™ 2007, and you may use it in your applications royalty-free.

I want to try my hand at building a small application that will let out non-Spy users have a way to validate their XML instances to our schema sets. The above seems preferable to building a dot.Net solution. But the above bit has a bit too much "market hype" for me, where can I learn precisely what components of the overall 2007 Enterprise Edition or mission Kit are included in the above (if any). I downloaded this separately from my current installation, and it seems to be a few *.exe programs and some Java (along with a bit of help files and some examples). Am I correct in thinking this resource is completely independent of any of the items in the "licensed" Altova products?
Topic: Controlling documenting restricted element content
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:58:05 AM
Many of the schema sets that I regularly use are the products of consensus standards work. Therefore, they often have many optional elements which any given user may not care about. Some users find this content very objectionable, and in some cases I make local copies from the type and add <xs:restriction base="SomeObject"> and the cut it down to what is needed. But XMLSPY shows all the old content (with nice little cross out lines) when this is done in the documentation views.

Is there any way to control the documentation produced so that elements we have eliminated in this way are suppressed and not rendered into the documentation sets?
Topic: SchemaAgent Server use
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:55:24 PM
Today we run a public "XML schema repository" with dozens of complex schemas from several standards groups. Basically it is a raw set of directory files because most of our user base knows what they want and where to get it, but we also have about 50,000 files in XMLSpy generated documentation (which our users love, thank so much for the smaller pages in the new release!). Users are encouraged to get their own authoritative copy from this resource (and frankly some of our standards publishing partners still try to distribute schemas on printed paper) and it work well enough, but it is time to take it to the next level.

I am considering the pros and cons of using SchemaAgent Server to provide a better level of support for our users who use Altova products.

If I were to place this on one of our public servers (Win 2000 or Win 2003) what level of control will I have over who can access the results? I have a need to limit the access to some schema sets, while making other completely free and public. Does your tool provide any supoort for this, or must I use IIS access controls? Can I run multiple copies of it on the same machine, would I need to?

Other then the integration with some database utility, are there any other benifits in having a SchemaAgent Server that I should be aware of?

DCK

Use of the Altova User Forum(s) is governed by the Altova Terms of Use.