IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Profile: StefanMisch
About
User Name: StefanMisch
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Location DE
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 45
[0.25% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: HOWTO: Open/Start MS Word from XMLSpy project file
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:54:05 AM
Ha, found it myself:

using menu "Tools/Customize..." and there on "Tools" tab define Word and Excel as external tools:

Then you can right click on the file in the project tree and choose the corresponding entry from the "User defined tools..." menu entry.

However I would prefer to:
- define the extension for .doc in Tools/Options on "File Types" tab
- specify the option to open with corresponding external tool
- then select from the list of user defined tools
- display correct icon in project tree

Stefan

Topic: HOWTO: Open/Start MS Word from XMLSpy project file
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:26:11 AM
Hi,

I just started using XMLSpy project files to make part of my daily work easier. Now I would like to add Microsoft Word an Excel files to my project file. Is there a way to make XMLSpy start the corresponding program when I double click on a Word .doc or Excel .xls file?

Thanks for any tipp,
Stefan

Topic: ODBC Connect to ERwin 8 Metamodel
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 6:47:37 PM
This is what I found out myself:

(1) regarding MF's "hang"
this is not true. MF does not hang it just takes "ages" (about 2 minutes) until it displays the edit dialog to edit the SELECT statement

(2) I guess this is because the ERwin driver doesn't like the generated syntax ".. CAST AS STRING..".

Bottom line:
it seems more to be a problem of (or MF's interaction with) ERwin's ODBC driver. I'm using Excel as datasource for MF as a workaround for me, as EXCEL does not have any problem to query ERwin's meta model using this ODBC driver.

Stefan

Topic: MapForce/FlexText: Additional CSV-Option: "ignore empty lines"
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 12:48:36 PM
Hi,

I would like to have an additional option in FlexText CSV/FLF-component:

ignore empty lines: yes/no

IMHO this would be helpfull.

Thanks,
Stefan

Topic: Database table actions
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:46:22 PM
I expected only the INSERTs to appear in MF's output window.
But I just see all those SELECTs to check if the record exists.
I guess this is not the way the output window works. There is no "magic" going on inside MF that actually executes those "exists" SELECTs against the database and depending on the result only generates those INSERTs where the corresponding record does not exist.

I guess I have to generate code that can execute the "logic" in my mapping.

Stefan

Topic: Control sequence of inserts in mapping to database
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 12:56:04 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

As always reading the manual helps :-)
According to the online help manual sequence is controlled by X and Y-position of the target components (search for "sequence"). Sequence is controlled from top-left to bottom-right.

MF is able to read the primary and foreign key definitions from Oracle.

Thanks again,
Stefan

Topic: Control sequence of inserts in mapping to database
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:11:29 AM
Hi,

from my text mapping I need to create inserts in 3 different tables. How can I control the sequence in which the insert statements for these tables get generated. Right now the insert are produced for the tables in alphabetical order which is not correct because inserts in parent tables must be done before inserts in child tables.

Thanks for any hint,
Stefan

Topic: Database table actions
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:07:50 AM
Hi,

it seems that I still have a problem using "database table actions". I defined a mapping that should produce inserts in an Oracle database from a text file.
An insert should only be done if the "name" which is an alternate key does not exist in the table. So i defined an "Ignore if" with "equal" on the name and an "Insert rest" for the mapped values. In the output window I can see that for each of my three tables a "select count" is generated for each key/name in the input file but no insert statements although there is no data in the tables.

Any idea what I miss?
Stefan

Topic: ODBC Connect to ERwin 8 Metamodel
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 9:56:43 PM
Hi,

has anybody successfully created a mapping against ERwin (CA's data modelling tool)? I'm using ERwin Release 8.2 (32-bit) and the latest Altova Suite 2012 Rel.2 (32-bit) on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

I'm facing two problems:

I'm not able to add SELECT's as data source. If I click on "Add/Edit SELECT-Statement" Mapforce hangs.

Using just tables as datasource works, but as soon as I run the mapping I get the following error:

ERwinModelV8.mfd: Mapping validation successful - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
ERwinModelV8.mfd: Execution failed - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Transformation-Error in Database SQL-execution:
Error in: SELECT ("NAME") CAST AS STRING AS "NAME" FROM "M0"."MODEL"
Reason: Database Generic Error
Reason:
[CA][ODBC ERwin Data Modeler driver][OpenAccess SDK SQL Engine]Syntax error in SQL statement. syntax error line 1 at or after token <AS>.[10179]
Related location: M0.MODEL

Thanks,
Stefan

Topic: Dabase Connection Error
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:58:59 AM
Sorry, no help from my side but I have the same problem with ODBC connections to Oracle (using current driver version 11.1.0.6). For no obvious reason MF seems to loose the connection to the ODBC source while modifying the mapping. Sometimes it helps assigning the connection again, sometimes only restarting MF helps. Sometimes when saving the mapping the connection info completly disappears from the .mfd file. The mapping connections to the table columns stay intact.

Somehow it seems to be related to user defined functions, although I cannot provide a scenario in which the error can be reproduced.

I've been in contact with Altova support about that but never got a reply (besides requesting more information). I will try to reactivate this support case by sending another reply.

Stefan.

P.S.: In other cases Altova support provided excellent service and support.

Use of the Altova User Forum(s) is governed by the Altova Terms of Use.