IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

FlexText Newbie - Options · View
mkcit1
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2020 5:40:24 PM

Greetings,

I am attempting to parse a text file created from a copy/paste of a LinkedIn ProFinder dashboard. Unfortunately, LinkedIn does not provide an export mechanism or API for me to be able to get the data into a structured format.

So I plan to start with a manual copy and paste of the section of the web page into a txt file. I am hoping that FlexText can help me parse the data, yet I am not seeing how I can parse this data. Here's a sample with a description of each of the elements:

IN CONVERSATION (This is the Status. All records will start with this field and each file will be of a unique value (e.g. IN CONVERSATION, PROPOSAL VIEWED, etc.)
Career Coach, Chandler, TX (3 fields - Type, City, State. I would like this value)
4 days ago 5 proposals (When they requested and how many proposals they've received. I would like to parse the "days ago" value)
Douglas Davis (Name - I would like to parse - 1 field is fine)
Douglas Davis (ignore duplicate)
Currently seeking employment in the computer software or networking field. (LinkedIn title. I would like to parse as 1 field)

View project request (Ignore)
Hide project request (Ignore)
What do you need your career coach to help you with? (This will be a header - same question for each record)
Return to work after an absence (Parse this value for the header above)

Where are you in your career? (This will be a header - same question for each record)
Late career (Parse this value for the header above)

How would you like to work with the career coach? (This will be a header - same question for each record)
I do not have a preference (Parse this value for the header above)

What are your goals in seeking a career coach? Anything else the coach should know? (This will be a header - same question for each record)
I have 10 years’ experience in the software development field, and have over 10 working in the information technology field. I have been out of the technology field for about 3 years and am trying to get back into it. (Parse this value for the header above)

The output would look something like this:

Status,Type,City,State,Days Ago,Name,Title,What do you need your career coach to help you with?,Where are you in your career?,How would you like to work with the career coach?,What are your goals in seeking a career coach? Anything else the coach should know?
IN CONVERSATION,Career Coach,Chandler,TX,4,Douglas Davis,Currently seeking employment in the computer software or networking field.,Return to work after an absence,Late career,I do not have a preference,"I have 10 years’ experience in the software development field, and have over 10 working in the information technology field. I have been out of the technology field for about 3 years and am trying to get back into it."

where everything before IN CONVERSATION represents the header row and the text starting with IN CONVERSATION represents the data record.

I would be grateful if someone could at least point me in a direction if what I am trying to accomplish is even possible.

Cheers,
Craig Tennant

K101
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 8:53:21 AM

That should be possible. See the attached example which is a starting point for you, at least. You'll use functionality in both FlexText as well as regular MapForce functions.

File Attachment(s):
example.zip (3kb) downloaded 27 time(s).