IMPORTANT:
this is not a Support Forum! Experienced users might answer from time to time questions posted here. If you need a professional and reliable answer, or if you want to report a bug, please contact Altova Support instead.

Viewing document revisions Options · View
Gonzo12c
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 5:19:21 PM

Hello ive just got Altova recently and im looking into the metadata on some files. Im trying to work out how i can view data on previous versions of the files and the dates these revisions were saved. Is it at all possible im hoping someone with a greater knowledge can help me out thanks.

Max
K101
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 9:13:56 AM

That depends greatly on the specifics of your case. What sort of files (that is, what format) are you looking at? What revision control system is storing the "previous versions" and is maintaining the metadata which tracks them? Some example files would be helpful.
Gonzo12c
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 9:19:38 PM

Hi so the files are showing up as Office open file format. Im not too good with metadata or Altova program i can just see it says 19 revisions on one file and wondered if there is a way to get details on these from the data. Sorry i cant be more helpful im such a noob and hoping people can bear with me.

File Attachment(s):
Example.docx (151kb) downloaded 927 time(s).

K101
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:37:07 AM

Then you should be able to see details of those revisions in the Microsoft Office application which handles the files in question. If it can't, then please describe in more details what details you want to see. Once again, actual example files would be helpful in understanding your requirement.
Gonzo12c
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:10:55 AM

Ok so ive added a screenshot in the word file above of whereabouts I am looking at and seeing the revisions in Altova in the Core part. The files were not originally created on this computer and i do not have access to the original computer. The files are for a court case and hence are sensitive. There is a high possibility that these files of appraisal interviews have been created solely for the court case which of course is illegal hence having to lodge a prelim hearing to firstly have the original files released. The revisions I believe will give me the date in which subsequent files were created and prove that they were created solely for the case and be a quick win. I am not a lawyer and am doing this all for my wife who was made redundant whilst on maternity leave because she would not reduce her hours even though she was already part time.

Thank you.
K101
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:17:43 AM

In general, XMLSpy can open a Word .docx document and let you view the internal structure and files. Your screenshot shows that you've already figured this out. Beyond that, we can't really advise you on what you should do with the data you see or how to interpret it for your particular requirement.
Gonzo12c
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:00:40 PM

Ok so its not possible to gain the information that i am after from the file that i have or this program?
island
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:35:34 PM

An open office document is essentially a zip archive containing a number of files. XML Spy can only show you which files are in that archive, nothing more, nothing less. If the information that you seek is not contained in any of the files in that archive then you are out of luck.