Altova Mailing List Archives

[xsl] behavior of boolean() when applied to an empty variable

From: Wolfhart Totschnig <wolfhart@---------.--->
To: xsl-list@-----.------------.---
Date: 7/12/2011 2:32:00 AM
Hello,

The boolean() function behaves in a way I don't understand when given an
empty variable as argument. I was hoping one of you could explain it to me.

Take the following two variables:

<xsl:variable name="empty1"></xsl:variable>

<xsl:variable name="empty2">
    <xsl:if test="false()">
        <xsl:value-of select=" 'some non-empty string' "/>
    </xsl:if>
</xsl:variable>

The value of both variables is the same, i.e. "", an empty string.
However, boolean($empty1) returns "false" while boolean($empty2) returns
"true". Why? I thought that the boolean function can be used to test
whether a string is empty---that is, I thought that it would return
"false" in both cases. What am I misunderstanding?

Thanks,
Wolfhart

--~--