Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Handling elements which is inside CDATA in input XML

From: David Carlisle <davidc@---.--.-->
To: xsl-list@-----.------------.---
Date: 11/1/2010 12:50:00 PM
On 01/11/2010 12:24, Ramkumar.V wrote:
> Hi, Experts
>
> I need to remove the span tag which is inside the CDATA in input XML.
> Could anyone suggest me how to handle CDATA in XSLT Transform for the
> below?

There are no tags inside a CDATA section, only character data.
before XSLT can process that you need to parse it to generate some
element nodes, some systems (eg commercial or old versions of saxon)
have extension functions such as saxon:parse to do that, or you could
use for example htmlparse.xsl, a parser implemented in xslt.
or, in some simple and constrained uses, if you don't need to query the
structure just copy it to the serialised output, you could use
<xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes" select="question"/>
or if you know it is always just span that you want to remove
<xsl:value-of select="replace(question,'</?span>','')"/>

David