Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Trouble transforming special characters

From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@---.-->
To: xsl-list@-----.------------.---
Date: 8/10/2010 3:43:00 PM
Craig Whisenhunt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am transforming XML to HTML. The XML source has:
>
> Pe&ntilde;a
>
> which should transform and display as Peña.
>
> Instead, the '&ntilde;' gets transformed into a '?'.
>
> Same problem with mdash
>
> Processor Information:
> XSL version: 1
> Vendor: Microsoft
> Vendor URL: http://www.microsoft.com
>
> Using VS2008, C#, .NET 3.5
>
> My XSLT begins with:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="2.0"
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xml:space="default"
> xmlns:l="urn::tlc.state.tx.us.salsa.legdoc">
>   <xsl:output method="html" encoding="UTF-8" use-character-maps="cm1"
> indent="yes"/>
>   <xsl:character-map name="cm1">
>     <xsl:output-character character="&#160;" string="&amp;nbsp;"/>
>     <xsl:output-character character="&#8212;" string="&amp;mdash;"/>
>     <xsl:output-character character="&#233;" string="&amp;eacute;"/>
>     <xsl:output-character character="&#241;" string="&amp;ntilde;"/>
>   </xsl:character-map>

> Note that when I do the transformation in XMLSpy, it works fine. Using
> it in code, though, produces a '?'.

I think I did explain elsewhere that XMLSpy">XMLSpy supports XSLT 2.0 (i.e
xsl:character-map) while XslCompiledTransform is an XSLT 1.0 processor
that does not support any XSLT 2.0 constructs.
If you want to use XSLT 2.0 with .NET code then use Saxon 9
(http://saxon.sourceforge.net/) or use AltovaXML tools
(http://www.altova.com/altovaxml.html).

--

	Martin Honnen