Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] XSLT for Mashups

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@--.--->
To: xsl-list@-----.------------.---
Date: 3/5/2010 5:02:00 PM
On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 16:48 +0000, Florent Georges wrote:
[...]
>   Thanks, Mike.  But clearly, REST cannot be supported by doc().
> You can issue simple GET requests, but REST is based on more
> HTTP verbs than GET.  Not mentioning headers yet.

Before XQuery and XSLT 2 were Recommendations I wrote a proposal
to give access to the URI resolver that would allow e.g. SOAP.
At that time it was rejected, at least partly because I didn't write
it well enough probably.

Since then, the XML Processing Model Working Group (XProc)'s pipelining
language has some support for HTTP, and I think may offer a better
answer.

But yes, let's talk in Prague about it - it's actually one of the topics
for my session too: should we (W3C) do more work *around* the current
scope of XSLT and XQuery, e.g. fitting XProc and XSLT and Query together
more tightly, or maybe enough of a Web framework that people can use
these languages as back ends for Web apps directly.  There seems to
be quite a bit of interest in such things.

Liam

--~--