Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Definite list of XSLT 2.0 processors?

From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@------.-->
To: xsl-list@-----.------------.---
Date: 1/20/2010 3:42:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for joining in on this discussion, which went
slightly beyond my original intentions (a good thing), but learnt a few
new things along the way. Was a bit surprised that throughout this
thread, the market seems divided between LAMP and Java only. What
happened to ASP, C#.NET or even desktop/tools? And what about browser's
client-side XSLT 2.0?

If I try to compile a little final list of all information so far, it'll
look something like the following. If you have information about the
gaps in my information gathering, I'm (still/always) all ears.

Complete implementations
------------------------
- Saxon-HE, open source, basic [1][3]
- Saxon-PE, commercial closed source, basic [2][3]
- Saxon-EE, commercial closed source, schema-aware [2][3]
- AltovaXML, free closed source, schema-aware[4]
- IBM WebSphere Feature Pack, free* closed source, schema aware[5]

*  the feature pack is free, WebSphere, to which it belongs, is not

Incomplete implementations
--------------------------
- Intel XSLT 2.0, public beta free dl, basic*, 90% conformance [6]
- Gestalt, open source, no more development, unknown conformance [7]
- Oracle 10.1+, unclear status, no dl, unknown conformance [8]

* Intel wants feedback, in particular about whether to implement SA.

Alternatives
------------
- EXSLT, extensions to XSLT 1.0 to close the gap, no conformance [9]
- XSLT 2.0 through XSLT 1.0 (can't find the link anymore)

No plans
--------
- Microsoft has postponed plans for XSLT 2.0 indefinitely [10]

Wishes
------
- Native XSLT 2.0 for .NET. The XPath 2.0 datamodel is already there
- Native C/C++ XSLT 2.0 processor for LAMP and others
- Open source C-interface for implementation in open source browsers