Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Format Phone number

From: Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@-----.--->
To: xsl-list@-----.------------.---
Date: 12/21/2009 11:32:00 AM
The javadoc for java.text.DecimalFormat which is explicitly referred
to by the XSLT 1.0 spec contains this paragraph - note the last
sentence:

<quote>
The grouping separator is commonly used for thousands, but in some
countries it separates ten-thousands. The grouping size is a constant
number of digits between the grouping characters, such as 3 for
100,000,000 or 4 for 1,0000,0000. If you supply a pattern with
multiple grouping characters, the interval between the last one and
the end of the integer is the one that is used. So "#,##,###,####" ==
"######,####" == "##,####,####".
</quote>

XSLT 2.0 defines format-number without such a reference, which
explains the difference.

I'd prefer substring and concatenation functions for creating the
999-999-9999 pattern.
-W

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Michael Kay <mike@s...> wrote:

> > thanks for your response. this is returing me  xx-xxxx-xxxx
> > format not xxx-xxx-xxxx.
> >
> > what could be the issue.
>
> That looks like a bug in your XSLT processor.
>
> (But this is not the way I would recommend tackling this problem).
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael Kay
> http://www.saxonica.com/
> http://twitter.com/michaelhkay