Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Re: XSLT filter syntax advice?

From: James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@-----.--->
To: xsl-list@-----.------------.---
Date: 11/26/2009 8:39:00 PM
Doug,

I would suggest you look at the archives for this list (start
somewhere around 2000) and see how many people MKay took the time to
respond too. Can you fault him if every once in a while after 10 years
that he gently 'chides' those who could do better with their
questions?

MKay doesn't need defending; but I for one find your response
offensive, referring to someone as 'trolling' who has contributed and
helped out in this particular niche on the intertubes is ludicrous.

I suspect you will receive quite a bit more spam now.

Jim Fuller

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Doug Meade <dougyitbos@g...> wrote:
> you wrote:
>> It's remarkable how many people write to forums like this saying that their
>> code isn't working, but don't show us the code. This makes it very hard to
>> see where people are going wrong, where their conceptual blocks are that
>> need to be put right. I suspect that in some cases people are shy of showing
>> their code because they fear it will be ridiculed, but a sign of a good
>> programmer is that they positively welcome feedback and criticism of their
>> code, and take it on board - it's by far the best way of improving your
>> knowledge and skills (that was a fantastic discovery when I started writing
>> open source code ten years ago).
>>
>> If you don't know where to start, that's a different matter. But if you've
>> tried something and it didn't give the answer you expected, then show us
>> what you tried, and let us explain it.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael Kay
>> http://www.saxonica.com/
>> http://twitter.com/michaelhkay
>>

> ... And sometimes people who quickly type mesg just forget to include
> things. It happens.
> What is remarkable to me is the need for some people to reply to a
> large group just to be heard making note of others mistakes - but
> adding no value.
>
> I suspect that they do this out of a need for attention an approval
> more than the desire to create email spam. Forum trolls operate much
> the same way. I suppose though it may also stem from an inflated sense
> of self worth. Such people most likely enjoy referring to themselves
> in the third person.
>
> Food for thought perhaps.
> Happy thanksgiving.
> Doug