Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] LINQ to XML versus XSLT

From: "Joe Fawcett" <joefawcett@----------->
Date: 6/27/2008 1:54:00 PM
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 1:26 PM
To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [xsl] LINQ to XML versus XSLT

I guess that we all agree that the new LINQ to XML API is the
greatest thing to happen to XML for a very long time.

No, proprietary languages are bad, however good they are.

And procedural languages will always be worse than declarative languages
for

a very large class of problems.

Perhaps I'm not being fair, there are millions of programmers out there

churning out zillions of lines of inefficient and unmaintanable DOM code,

and anything that improves their lives is to be welcomed. But they already

have the opportunity to do that, and to adopt approaches that are both
much

more powerful and less proprietary.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

True but in LINQ's defence it is declarative, in the same mould as SQL.

Joe

http://joe.fawcett.name