Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Re: Identity transformation for XSLT 2.0

From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@-------------------->
Date: 12/23/2007 6:57:00 PM
At 2007-12-23 23:43 +0530, Mukul Gandhi wrote:
On Dec 23, 2007 11:01 PM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The fact that something can be coded in XSLT is not itself an argument not

> to include it in the standard function library. That argument can
be used to

> show that you don't need a "+" operator, because people can always write

> "--".

I recently needed to do set difference operation in a 2.0 stylesheet,
using Saxon 9 (basic version). I was a bit surprised to find that
Saxon reported, "Unknown system function except()".

"except" is an operator, not a function.

The F&O spec defines this function
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/#func-except). Could you please
tell, why this built in function not implemented in Saxon 9.

As a workaround, I had to resort to $seq1[not(. = $seq2)] ...

The above is comparing _values_ of each node, not the identity of each node.

Using "$seq1 except $seq2" engages the function defined in the specification.

Note how http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/#func-except is described as:

  op:except($parameter1 as node()*, $parameter2 as node()*) as node()*

I hope this helps.

--
Comprehensive in-depth XSLT2/XSL-FO1.1 classes: Austin TX,Jan-2008