Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xsl] XSL to ODF/OOXML

From: cknell@----------
Date: 4/27/2007 5:55:00 PM
Q. "Is this just another XSL transform that requires me learning the appropriate output schema ..."

A. Yes.

There's a big red flag here. I used to have a group of customers who would want some software modified and always started by saying, "Well can't you just ...?" I would tell them I could do anything they asked for, but I couldn't "just" do anything they asked for. In fact, my wife still works there, and if one or the other of us uses the word "just" in conversation, it' guaranteed to cause a smirk.

Q. "I'm wondering if I can use the XHTML output as my source
XML and have one stylesheet that converts all of my documents into the
appropriate format?"

A. Yes, but it would be one big --expletive deleted-- stylesheet. You would probably save yourself a fortune in psychotropic prescription drugs to create one stylesheet for each general type of document.

"export to Word" covers a lot of ground. Don't be surprised to the public has Word95, Word97, Word2000, WordXP and Word2005. If you tell them you will "export to Word", you may be setting yourself up for a real tour de force of juggling to keep all these balls in the air. Not all of these can read an XML format.

On the other hand, if your audience is internal to your organization, you may be able to limit your conversion to a few of these. I have had some success in using XSLT to convert XML to RTF, which all of these versions of Word can read. The price is that some of the more exotic MS Word features can't be represented in RTF.

You ought to start off with the ECMA standard document: http://www.ecma-international.org/news/TC45_current_work/TC45-2006-50_final_draft.htm
--
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email