Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Using xsl:sort to sort negative values

From: "Sola Awe" <sodana@----------->
Date: 2/21/2007 3:58:00 AM
Hi all,

 Thanks for the reply.  I actually got this resolved.  I really appreciate
your help.

I made a mistake in my code.

Thanks,

Sola

From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [xsl] Using xsl:sort to sort negative values
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:09:46 +0100

Hi Sola,

You didn't show your full code and you didn't tell what processor you are
using and what XSLT version. If you specifiy "number" for the data-type,
then the content is converted to a numeric value. This includes the minus
sign.

Note that your data is illegal XML as where legal XML it is not allowed to
have any element starting with xml, XML or any combination of case, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#IDAKKFS. However, most XML processors dig it
anyway ;)

I tried the following stylesheet and ran it with Saxon 8. It gives the
result you want:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

     <xsl:output indent="yes" />

     <xsl:template match="/xml">

       <xsl:apply-templates select="data">

          <xsl:sort select="." data-type="number" />

       </xsl:apply-templates>

   </xsl:template>

     <xsl:template match="data">

       <xsl:text>
</xsl:text>
       <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
   </xsl:template>
  </xsl:stylesheet>

If this does not work with your processor, it is likely a bug.

Good luck with it,

Cheers,
-- Abel

Sola Awe wrote:
Hi,
  Can anyone tell why the code below will not work?

<xsl:sort select="data" data-type="number"/>

I am trying to sort numeric data that contains negative values but the
order seems to be wrong

<xml>
<data>22</data>
<data>2</data>