Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] XPath 2.0 Regex misunderstanding

From: "Mukul Gandhi" <gandhi.mukul@--------->
Date: 1/19/2007 5:03:00 PM
If the XML is:

<x>
 <DATE>07/18/2006</DATE>
 <DATE>07/12/2006</DATE>
 <DATE>09/25/2006</DATE>
 <DATE>10/24/2006</DATE>
 <DATE>10/18/2006</DATE>
 <DATE>10/10/2006</DATE>
 <DATE>10/02/2006</DATE>
 <DATE>01/19/2006</DATE>
</x>

and, XSLT is:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="2.0">

<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" />

<xsl:template match="/x">
 <result>
   <xsl:for-each select="DATE">
     <xsl:if test="matches(.,'[0-1][0-2]/[0-3][0-9]/2006')">
       <bad-date><xsl:value-of select="." /></bad-date>
     </xsl:if>
   </xsl:for-each>
 </result>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

and if the XSLT processor produces output:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<result>
  <bad-date>10/24/2006</bad-date>
  <bad-date>10/18/2006</bad-date>
  <bad-date>10/10/2006</bad-date>
  <bad-date>10/02/2006</bad-date>
  <bad-date>01/19/2006</bad-date>
</result>

I feel, XSLT processor is compliant. And this is exactly what Saxon
8.8J is doing.

On 1/19/07, cknell@xxxxxxxxxx <cknell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a date element:

example

<DATE>11/01/2006</DATE>

I'm trying to write an XPath 2.0 Regex to winnow some of the more obvious date format errors. I have tried for about a half-hour, and I admit to being stumped.

Here is the relevant part of the template:

<xsl:when test="matches(DATE,'[0-1][0-2]/[0-3][0-9]/2006')"><bad-date /></xsl:when>

These dates passed the test:

<DATE>07/18/2006</DATE>
<DATE>07/12/2006</DATE>
<DATE>09/25/2006</DATE>

While these failed:

<DATE>10/24/2006</DATE>
<DATE>10/18/2006</DATE>
<DATE>10/10/2006</DATE>
<DATE>10/02/2006</DATE>
<DATE>01/19/2006</DATE>

It appears any value with a "1" in either the first or second position is failing.

What I am trying to achieve is:

First character is either a "0" or "1"
Second character is in the range of 0-2
Third character is "/"
Fourth character is in the range of 0-3
Fifth character is in the range of 0-9
Sixth character is "/"
Text ends with the string "2006".

Can someone point out where I'm going wrong?
Thanks.
--
Charles Knell
cknell@xxxxxxxxxx - email