Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xsl] xslt (multi) threading or parallelized execution

From: "Michael Kay" <mike@------------>
Date: 1/24/2007 5:53:00 PM
> Given the ability to model just about anything in XML, XSLT
> can be used to process just about any kind of data.  It is
> limited by memory and speed, from what I've seen.  Could the
> speed factor be addressed by threading ?

If you only have one CPU, then multithreading is likely to impose
coordination overheads without actually reducing the number of cycles
executed on that CPU. Clearly though with multiple CPUs there's scope for
improved elapsed time by spreading the work. The question is whether anyone
needs that badly enough to create a business case for the development work.
For people who want to process thousands of financial messages per second,
you can get the improved throughput more easily by running multiple
transformations in parallel with each one being single-threaded.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/