Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] question about identity transform

From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@--------->
Date: 10/31/2006 11:47:00 PM
Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
I think this has been discussed quite often in this list and should
probably be well-reflected in the FAQ.

A node-set is a set.

A set, by definition, is unordered.

Indeed. And I know of the theory. But I find myself every now and then
back on slippery ground, especially when it comes to explaining
something of what I remember to have had difficulties with in the past,
now finding myself making the same mistakes again. And on the same every
now and then, when I am coding my stylesheet crafting new xpaths, it so
often looks like it works one way ( A | B) but not the other way ( B | A
), eventually finding out that there's a glitch in the expression making
it so (and I never seem to learn: keep those expressions less than a
couple of lines in size!). Just being a human being, it keeps being
hard, even after some time of xslt programming, unraveling the mixture
of ordered XML with unordered (well, partially) XSLT, resulting, in -
hey - an ordered result set.

But, I must admit, it's a joy to mind and brains to do it, and any XSLT
stylesheet (esp. 2.0), once finished, sure looks like a piece of art
when you do it well ;-)

(Bill, sorry for being off-topic)

Cheers,
-- Abel