Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] What is a better word for "de-duplication"?

From: Jim Melton <jim.melton@------->
Date: 8/28/2006 2:57:00 AM
In the SQL world, we simply say "duplicate elimination".  I know
that's not "a single short word", but it is complete and
unambiguous.  Of course, you could always coin a word and try to sell
it to the community at large :^)  How about "uniquify"?  I'll donate
that one license free.

Jim

At 8/27/2006 07:14 PM, Jay Bryant wrote:
That's a tough one.

streamline?
unify?
reduce?
trim?

None of those quite fits, though.

English has a number of nouns for the basic concept, including "unique" and
"distinct". However, I can't think of (or find online) a verb for that
concept.

FWIW (not much, I suspect)

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services