Altova Mailing List Archives

[xsl] Office 2007, XSL-FO, and the Adobe "Save as PDF" (non)native-support...

From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@---------->
Date: 6/3/2006 4:47:00 PM
Hi Folks,

I believe this is on topic, as it seems like a fair number of folks on
this list who implement XSL-FO solutions for the printing industry (or any
other industry for that matter) can provide some interesting insite as to
how providing "Save as PDF..." support could help or hurt the printing
industry, especially those who implement solutions using XSL-FO.

For those unaware, as per Brian Jones (MS Office XML PM) announcement
yesterday
<http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2006/06/02/613702.aspx>, Adobe
is no longer comfortable with MS providing "Save as PDF..." support as a
directly supported feature of the up and coming release of Office 2007

In a follow-up comment
<http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2006/06/02/613702.aspx#616043>
Karl De Abrew writes:

"It's entirely permissable for a company to create a product which
confirms to the PDF reference
(http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/pdf/index_reference.html - see
page 8) including bookmarks and all other interactive elements. The only
obvious exceptions are some technical areas relating to PDFs which have
been "activated" with Acrobat Professional or Adobe LiveCycle software for
commenting, form completion (and saving) using Adobe Reader."

"The activePDF product you are referring to is a server product, but this
has no relevance to the discussion here. You can equally find products
such as our Nitro PDF which provides a drop-in replacement for Adobe
Acrobat."

"As an interesting aside for some -- as a PDF based ISV for over 10 years
-- we felt that Microsoft's efforts to provide a Save As PDF were (going
to be) positive for the industry and would result in dramatically
increasing the number of PDF files in distribution, thereby increasing the
demand for other software products that can operate on them. Granted, ISVs
such as ourselves would need to remain nimble to ensure that we were
continuing to offer services that were in demand."

My follow up to his last paragraph:

"That's a REALLY interesting point.  I should bring this up on XSL-List,
as there are obviously a TON of folks who could provide some interesting
insite on this matter.  It would be especially interesting to hear G. Ken
Holman's thoughts on the matter given his fine tuned expertise in
XSL-FO..."

To make sure this conversation stays on the topic of XSL (please, I beg of
thee... Don't let this turn into Yet Another Reason for Tommie to pull me
aside and beat me senseless!!! ;) :D) I ask one simple question:

Does providing the ability to save a Word document as PDF natively,
out-of-the-box (apparently they will counteract the apparent demand by
Adobe by providing the support as a separate download) provide even
greater opportunity for XSL-FO by increasing the number of PDF documents,
or does it hurt XSL-FO my making it less relavent to the needs of the
printing industry?

Thanks again for keeping this on topic! :D