Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xsl] 1 + 1 = 11

From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@---------------->
Date: 4/18/2006 5:42:00 PM
At 01:31 PM 4/18/2006, it was written:
I'm trying to remember, but isn't "+" used for concatenation?  So, yes,
1+1=11.

Nope, it isn't, not in XSLT (or more precisely, XPath).

I think the problem is the <xsl:otherwise>0</xsl:otherwise>. My guess
is that the test is being run on a table with two rows: the first has
an index of '1' assigned, so '1' is appended. The next (position()=2)
hits the otherwise so '0' is appended, resulting in the string '10'.
XPath coerces this string to 10, add 1 to it and get 11.

If you had a table with three rows, you'd get 101, four rows would
get 1001, etc.

If this is correct, just change the <xsl:choose> to an <xsl:if> to
get rid of the otherwise clause. It shouldn't be there anyway.

Cheers,
Wendell