Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Merging multiple RSS feeds into one RSS feed

From: Nic <nferrier@-------------------->
Date: 4/18/2006 7:44:00 PM
Robert Fidler <robert.fidler@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Does any one know how I can merge multiple RSS feeds into one feed? I
> have this code, but when I view the feed.xml in IE, it does not have any
> of the XML formating in it, just plain text output all strong out. And
> RSSOwl does not even read it.
>
> feed.xml:
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="merge-rss.xsl"?>
> <feeds>
>     <link href="http://digg.com/rss/index.xml"/>
>     <link href="http://www.osnews.com/files/recent.xml"/>
> </feeds>
>
> merge-rss.xsl:
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
>     <xsl:output  method="xml" version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
> indent="yes" omit-xml-declaration="no" media-type="text/xml" />
>     <xsl:template match="/">
>         <rss version="2.0">
>             <channel>
>                 <title>My Title</title>
>                 <description>My Description</description>
>                 <language>en-us</language>
>                 <link>http://mysite/rss</link>
>                 <xsl:for-each select="feeds/link/@href">
>                     <xsl:copy-of select="document(.)/rss/channel/item"/>
>                 </xsl:for-each>
>             </channel>
>         </rss>
>     </xsl:template>
> </xsl:stylesheet>

Something like:

  <xsl:for-each select="feeds/link">
    <xsl:variable name="source" select="document(@href)"/>
    <xsl:copy-of select="$source//item"/>
  </xsl:for-each>

Works for me.

Note that this is essentially what http://www.thefeedstar.net
does. This is my RSS/ATOM aggregator. It's simple but not as simple as
a single sylesheet; you can see it at:

   http://www.thefeedstar.net

you do have to register for it first.

Nic Ferrier