Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Automatically generate xpath

From: "Liron" <magilam@---------------->
Date: 1/30/2006 11:52:00 PM
Thank you for your replies (Jay and David so far)

You showed me how to use union for two xpaths but how would I remove a node
from a xpath? If you look at my previous example lets say I want to select
all text nodes besides the last one. But lets say that I already have a
xpath that looks like this: /html/body/table/tr/td/font/a/b/text() which is
something that my project generates according to a user selection (visually
selects a range of nodes) and I want to use it with the exclusion of
/html/body/table[2]/tr[2]/td/font/a[3]/b/text()

because the user later on decided he doesn't want that node in the output.

I don't want to create more complex expressions like
/html/body/table/tr/td/font/a["exclude if parent table's count is 1 and tr's
count is 1 and self's count is 2"]/b/text() because I might want later on to
exclude more nodes or insert more nodes or even insert again the ones I
already excluded, and lets assume that I even want to write a function that
handles all this it would probably be inefficient.

How would I remove a node from the list with something simple like "not |"?
"not" is boolean so that won't work but I need something simple that doesn't
manipulate my original xpath.

Thank you
Liron