Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Joining sibling elements

From: Marcin Mi&#x142;kowski <milek_pl@----->
Date: 8/10/2005 8:42:00 PM
Joris Gillis wrote:
Tempore 19:49:30, die 08/10/2005 AD, hinc in
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx scripsit Marcin MiEkowski <milek_pl@xxxxx>:

So this is a transformation to keep the resulting file tidy, with less
tagging. I'm planning such a transformation for WordML files before
submitting them for translation where less tagging means higher
translation quality.

May be a stupid question, but why would the amount of markup influence
the quality of a translation?

Try to envisage a scenario when you get a simple string like:

"Text to translate"

where every single letter is enclosed with some twelve tags. I received
such files for translation (they are translated with at least partial
tags shown onscreen). And I can assure you that reading such a cluttered
text means slower work and more errors. When I got at two or three tags
in a sentence, it doesn't hurt, but when there are hundreds of them...

Best regards,
	Marcin