Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xsl] Ascii end-of-file character output in an XSL file

From: "Michael Kay" <mike@------------>
Date: 6/2/2005 1:50:00 AM
> But!  The spec says:
>
> [ERR XTDE1180] It is a non-recoverable dynamic error if a
> resource contains
> characters that are not permitted XML characters.
>
> What is the rationale for that restriction?

I agree that this restriction can be frustrating, but the data type
xs:string is defined in relation to XML Schema and is therefore heavily
based on what XML allows in a string. If we wanted to allow manipulation of
non-XML characters we would need a new data type, and then none of the
string-handling functions would work on that data type. So there's no easy
answer.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/