Altova Mailing List Archives

[xsl] xslt 2.0 and alternatives?

From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@------------->
Date: 10/1/2004 12:16:00 PM
I've been working with XSLT 2.0, which currently means Saxon.  I wonder
what I ought to be telling people who might be interested in integrate
processing into a C or C++ project?

So, I know this comes up sometimes, but I'm still unclear: when -- if
ever -- are we likely to see xalan-c or libxslt with xslt 2.0 support?
Are we talking years here?

If that isn't a realistic medium-term option, then how to think about
using the work I've done in that sort of environment?  The most
significant functionality enabled by 2.0 is the temporary tree stuff
that sorts and enhances my data, and the related multi-level grouping
operations.  So, using XSLT 2.0, I take a list of records, and create a
temporary tree that does a multi-level grouping and sorting, and adds a
number of virtual elements to make subsequent processing easier.

How easy is this to do with one of the other processors (using I guess
the exslt nodeset extension and whatever grouping tricks)?

Would another option be a pre-processor written in another language
that does the equivalent of the temp tree work in XSLT 2.o?

Bruce