Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] xsl:sort with msxml english language, danish characters, weird results

From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@------------------->
Date: 10/25/2004 8:38:00 AM
Michael Kay wrote:

I'm not sure I'm following here--at least using Java
RuleBasedCollator
you should be able to achieve any collation sequence whatsoever.

But I'm not sure what you mean by sorting 646 before 10646.

A possible algorithm is that any sequence of digits counts as a single
collation unit, which is collated before the first collation unit derived
from non-digit characters, and has a collation value equal to its decimal
value.

I don't believe you can achieve this with a RuleBasedCollator.

Ah, I understand now--I misunderstood your comment as being about the
standards, not the strings "646" and "10646".

I think you are correct, although I'll have to test it.

Of course, this type of rule can be implemented using a custom
Comparator implementation that implements whatever rule you want,
delegating the character-level comparison to a rule-based collator. I
don't think there's any way that a purely declarative mechanism, which
is what I understand the UCA to define (and what RuleBasedCollator
implements) to handle all cases.

Cheers,

E.
--