Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Merging multiple SVGs using XSLT

From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@---------------->
Date: 11/7/2003 1:33:00 PM
Yatin,

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, given your problem statement, but
a bit of clarification of terminology and syntax might be helpful, given
your warnings....

One funny wrinkle about XSLT -- really about the XPath data model which
XSLT operates on -- is that what we call the "root element" in XML is not
the "root". Accordingly, XSLTers will often take pains to speak not of the
root element but of the "document element". This document element -- in an
SVG file it's the top-level <svg> element -- is actually a child of the
XPath document root, which is referred to with the XPath expression "/".
(If you have any comments or such before your document starts or after it
ends, they're also children of the root.)

So when you have a template that matches "/", it's not matching an <svg>
element, it's matching the document root, which has that <svg> element as a
child.

Inside your template matching "/" you create an SVG, and then have the
instruction <xsl:copy-of select="*[..]"/>. This is the same as select="*"
(the predicate [..] adds nothing in this case, it's true for any node in
the set "*"), which is the same as select="child::*" -- that is, you are
asking for copies of the element children of your current node, the root (/).

There is one child element of the root, namely the <svg> element -- the
document element of your source. So it's getting copied -- and then you are
adding your new SVGs. This is why you aren't seeing any nesting.

I bet if you changed the template to match="/svg" or match="/*" (that is,
the template should match the document element, not the document root),
your stylesheet would work better for you. (There are other improvements
that can be made, but they don't have a direct bearing on your question. :-)

The key here, as you intuited correctly, is to understand the core concepts
of the XPath node tree, the nodes in it (including the root node), and how
XSLT templates are used to match those nodes and XSLT instructions are used
to manipulate them. If you dig into some documentation on this topic in
your favorite reference, you are bound to have an "aha!" or two.

I hope this helps--

Cheers,
Wendell

At 04:50 PM 11/7/2003, you wrote:
Hi Friends,
          This is my first mail to this
mailing-list... I am new to XSL, but quite amazed by
it's capabilities and power.
          I am trying to merge multiple SVG files into
a single composite SVG using XSLT. The scenario is
something like this:
          I have a main background SVG file, which has
a root node as the <svg id="backgrnd" width="200"
height="400"...etc..  </svg>... Onto this SVG I need
to add multiple smaller SVG files, however I cannot
add them as <image> tags due to some problems
downstream of the application. So, I am adding these
SVG images onto my background SVG by adding the new
SVG trees into the background SVG. So the final result
I seek is:
<svg id="backgrnd" width="200" height="400" etc..>
  <path...>
  <clip..>
  <g..>
  some more SVG tags for the background
  <svg id="img1" x="20" y="40" width="200"...>
    ..... Image on the background
  </svg>
  <svg id="img2" x="30" y="69" width="200"...>
    ..... another image on the background
  </svg>
    ...there can be n number of images like these

</svg>... finally the closure of the root of the
background SVG.

i.e. I am trying to add the img1 and img2 images
within the root of the background SVG tree... However
I notice that I am unable to add anything into the
root of the background SVG.. The result I get is
following:
<svg id="backgrnd" width="200" height="400" etc..>
  <path...>
  <clip..>
  <g..>
  some more SVG tags on for the background
</svg>... finally the closure of the root of the
background SVG.
<svg id="img1" x="20" y="40" width="200"...>
    ..... Image on the background
  </svg>
  <svg id="img2" x="30" y="69" width="200"...>
    ..... another image on the background
  </svg>
    ...there can be n number of images like these

i.e. The images img1 and img2 get added as new nodes
at the same level as the root of the background SVG...

Following is the XSL code I am using...

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

        <xsl:template match="/">
                <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
xmlns:svg="http://www.w3c.org/2000/svg" width="1656"
height="2088" viewBox="0 0 1656 2088">
<xsl:copy-of select="*[..]"/>
                <xsl:for-each select="/">

                                <xsl:if test="position()=last()">

                                        <svg
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"

xmlns:svg="http://www.w3c.org/2000/svg" x="456"

y="420" width="748" height="224">

                                        <xsl:copy-of

select="document('http://10.96.10.20/servlet/ImageReaderByNIDQ?nacid=119476&amp;filetype=f')"/>

                                        </svg>

                                        <svg
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"

xmlns:svg="http://www.w3c.org/2000/svg" x="396"

y="756" width="864" height="540">

                                        <xsl:copy-of

select="document('http://10.96.10.20/servlet/ImageReaderByNIDQ?nacid=119480&amp;filetype=f')"/>

                                        </svg>

                                </xsl:if>

                </xsl:for-each>
                </svg>
        </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

As you will notice, I am adding new SVG tags in the
above XSL to overcome my problem (and encapsulate
everything into the same top level <svg>), but this
causes some problems further in the application.

Being a novice, I apologize for any incorrect use of
terms like root node, or tree etc...

I would appreciate any help with this matter...

Thank you,
Yatin Kareer.