Altova Mailing List Archives

[xsl] Planning for a xml/xslt Website

From: Geoff Hankerson <ghank@----------->
Date: 9/4/2003 9:01:00 AM
I've become convinced using xml, xslt, and css is the way I want to
build Web sites.  I'm looking for a few suggestions on best practices.

Background:

My server side varies depending on the site I might be working on. In
some cases it's ColdFusionMX, others asp or php.

The xml for a given page might come from an xml file, remote feed or a
database query converted to an xml string on the fly. I will probably
do the xslt transformation on the server because browser support is too
iffy at this point.

Here is my question:

Each page of the site could potentially have a coldfusion or php file,
and xml file and in some cases an xslt file and css file. I would  make
sure my pages share xslt and css style sheets. I know the whole point
of using xslt and css is to build components of a site that can be
reused, but the potential for exceptions always exist.  So I have an
xml file, a script (cfm, php, jsp or asp) file, and perhaps an xslt and
css file for one page. Have I really maintaining my site and code
easier? I've separated presentation from content so that helps a lot.
But up to 4 files for one Web page? Is there a better way?