Altova Mailing List Archives

[xsl] XSLT Question

From: "Lee, Insoo" <Insoo.Lee@------>
Date: 8/20/2003 7:46:00 AM
I am currently using an XSLT stylesheet to transform one type of XML into
another.  The first type looks like this:

<FruitList>
	<Fruit ID="5" KEY="apple" VALUE="true">
	<Fruit ID="5" KEY="orange" VALUE="false">
	<Fruit ID="4" KEY="orange" VALUE="false">
	<Fruit ID="5" KEY="banana" VALUE="false">
	<Fruit ID="4" KEY="pineapple" VALUE="false">
	<Fruit ID="13" KEY="orange" VALUE="false">
	<Fruit ID="13" KEY="watermelon" VALUE="true">
	<Fruit ID="4" KEY="kiwi" VALUE="false">
	<Fruit ID="4" KEY="grapefruit" VALUE="true">
	<Fruit ID="13" KEY="papaya" VALUE="false">
	<Fruit ID="13" KEY="honeydew" VALUE="true">
</FruitList>

I'd like to write a stylesheet to transform it as follows:

<FruitList>
	<Fruit ID="5">
		<Property KEY="apple" VALUE="true">
		<Property KEY="orange" VALUE="false">
		<Property KEY="banana" VALUE="false">
	</Fruit>
	<Fruit ID="4">
		<Property KEY="orange" VALUE="false">
		<Property KEY="pineapple" VALUE="false">
		<Property KEY="kiwi" VALUE="false">
		<Property KEY="grapefruit" VALUE="true">
	</Fruit>
	<Fruit ID="13">
		<Property KEY="orange" VALUE="false">
		<Property KEY="watermelon" VALUE="true">
		<Property KEY="papaya" VALUE="false">
		<Property KEY="honeydew" VALUE="true">
	</Fruit>
</FruitList>

So far, using a <xsl:for-each select="//Fruit">  with a nested <xsl:for-each
select="//Fruit[@ID=$a]"> where $a = the current ID, I've been able to get
the XML to look like the following:

[...]

In other words, it prints out a seperate Fruit tag in the transformed XML
for each of the Fruit tags in the original when I want it to only print out
one fruit tag for each ID.  How do I get the XSLT to "skip" rows I've
already processed?  I tried saving the processed ID in a variable and
testing to see if the new ID is equal to the old ID, but because of scoping
issues it won't work.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alden