Altova Mailing List Archives

RE: [xsl] href problem...using CDATA needed?

From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@---------------->
Date: 6/13/2003 1:18:00 PM
At 04:24 PM 6/13/2003, TomP wrote:
In your template, it seems very unusual to have an apply-templates
instruction within the body of an anchor element.  An anchor is supposed
to contain only inline elements - it is not clear why you would need
apply-templates. If it is going to return structured information, an
anchor element is the wrong place for it.  If it is going to return a
bit of text like a label, chances are you can do it with just
xsl:value-of.

I disagree with Tom here. I prefer to use xsl:apply-templates by default
all the way down, and only go to xsl:value-of (or something else) as the
motivated exception.

This may because I deal a lot with messy documentary data that often
includes lots of mixed content, including even mixed content in the midst
of anchor tags and such like (they do happen). The graceful way XSLT's
so-called "push" model deals with mixed content is among its greatest
misunderstood and discounted strengths. (But then mixed content itself
seems to be a deep mystery to some.)

There can also be stuff like images in there.

In fact, with newbies I like to slap their hands for using value-of without
thinking about why. :->

(This is not to say that I don't trust Tom to do the right thing for his
situation: I do.)

Cheers,
Wendell

    "Thus I make my own use of the telegraph, without consulting
     the directors, like the sparrows, which I perceive use it
     extensively for a perch." -- Thoreau