Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Re: Intermediate XML file creation, was:

From: "Mike Haarman" <mhaarman@------------------>
Date: 4/18/2003 10:51:00 AM
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Kirkpatrick" <ncam_tech@xxxxxxxx>

> Is it reasonable or advantageous to create an intermediate XML file that
> incorporates new elements/attributes for the calculations so that each of
> the ultimate transformations don't need to do these calculations, or is this
> considered bad form?

XSL is a data-driven process (document order, etc.).  It is a very common
pattern to massage data for a subsequent set of templates, the prevalence of the
node-set() extension attests to this.  The good news is that chaining a pair of
Sax tranformations allows one to use this technique without the necessity of
writing a file.  I think a two-pass transformation can be at once more
maintainable, more flexible and more efficient for a class of problems.

hth,

Mike