Altova Mailing List Archives

[xsl] A simple XSLT transformation -> XForms output

From: Andrew Watt <andrew@-------------->
Date: 4/18/2003 11:58:00 AM
A couple of people have asked on list about XSLT and XForms. The following
is a very simple XSLT transformation to an XForms-containing document which
offers simple login functionality.

The instance data for the form, which I chose to insert using XSLT is here:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xmml:LoginData
 xmlns:xmml="http://www.xmml.com" >
 <xmml:title>A simple XForms Login Example</xmml:title>
 <xmml:Name>Enter your name here</xmml:Name>
 <xmml:Password>Password</xmml:Password>
</xmml:LoginData>

In real life one could reference the above file using the src attribute on
the <xforms:instance> element. But I wanted something for the XSLT
processor to do.

The XSLT stylesheet is here:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet
 version="2.0"
 xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
 xmlns:ev="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events"
 xmlns:xforms="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms/cr"
 xmlns:xmml="http://www.xmml.com"

<xsl:output method="xhtml"
 indent="yes"
 doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
 doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" />

<xsl:template match="/">

<link href="SimpleLogin.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>

<head>

<title><xsl:value-of select="/xmml:LoginData/xmml:title" /></title>

<xforms:model>

 <xforms:submission action="LoginData.xml" method="post" replace="instance"/>

 <xforms:instance>

<xsl:apply-templates select="xmml:LoginData" />

 </xforms:instance>

</xforms:model>

</head>

 <xsl:comment>The values of the ref attributes are XPath expressions
binding to the XForms model.</xsl:comment>

 <xforms:input ref="/xmml:LoginData/xmml:Name" >

  <xforms:label>Enter your name:</xforms:label>

 </xforms:input>

 <xforms:secret ref="/xmml:LoginData/xmml:Password" style="width:100pt">

  <xforms:label>Enter your password:</xforms:label>

 </xforms:secret>

<xforms:submit>

 <xforms:label>Login by clicking here</xforms:label>

</xforms:submit>

</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="xmml:LoginData">

<!-- The values of the select attributes are XPath expressions addressing
the source XML document. -->

  <xsl:copy>

   <xsl:copy-of select="/xmml:LoginData/xmml:Name" />

   <xsl:copy-of select="/xmml:LoginData/xmml:Password" />

  </xsl:copy>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

The referenced CSS file, to be saved as SimpleLogin.css, is here:

body { font-style: normal; font-weight: 500; background-color: #CCCCCC;
color: #000099;}

input, secret {width: 200pt; color:black; background-color: #FFFFFF;
border: inset green;}

label {color:#000099}

Some XForms CSS is, to coin a phrase written in CSS 2.5, i.e. it isn't yet
finalised. It has several parts which are not included in "normal" CSS2. As
far as I can see X-Smiles doesn't yet implement all of CSS 2.5. :)

The result of the transformation is here:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE html

  PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

xmlns:ev="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events"
xmlns:xforms="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms/cr"
xmlns:xmml="http://www.xmml.com">

   <link href="SimpleLogin.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

   <head>

      <title>A simple XForms Login Example</title>

      <xforms:model>

         <xforms:submission action="LoginData.xml" method="post"
replace="instance"></xforms:submission>

         <xforms:instance>

            <xmml:LoginData>

               <xmml:Name>Enter your name here</xmml:Name>

               <xmml:Password>Password</xmml:Password>

            </xmml:LoginData>

         </xforms:instance>

      </xforms:model>

   </head>

      <!--The values of the ref attributes are XPath expressions binding
to the XForms model.-->

      <xforms:input ref="/xmml:LoginData/xmml:Name">

         <xforms:label>Enter your name:</xforms:label>

      </xforms:input>

      <xforms:secret ref="/xmml:LoginData/xmml:Password" style="width:100pt">

         <xforms:label>Enter your password:</xforms:label>

      </xforms:secret>

      <xforms:submit>

         <xforms:label>Login by clicking here</xforms:label>

      </xforms:submit>

I used Saxon 7.4 for the transformation.

The result, Transformed.xhtml, displays correctly in the X-Smiles browser.
It doesn't submit correctly as far as I can see.

Note that XHTML documents with a DOCTYPE declaration are VERY slow to
display in the current version of X-Smiles. If you want to speed up display
(a lot) omit the DOCTYPE declaration in the result of the transformation by
adjusting <xsl:output> in the stylesheet.

I hope I have copied everything correctly and have given enough explanation
to get someone new to XForms started. Ask if not.

Andrew Watt