Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] Problem With Different Colors for Alternate Rows

From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@------>
Date: 11/4/2002 8:07:00 PM
Hello Rechell,

there is also a simple XSL way:

<xsl:template match="/Food_List">

    <xsl:apply-templates select="Main_Food_List | Side_Dish | Desert"
mode="row"/>

</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="*" mode="row">
  <TR class="evenRowStyle">
    <xsl:if test="position() mod 2 = 1">
      <xsl:attribute name="class">oddRowStyle</xsl:attribute>
    </xsl:if>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="."/>
  </TR>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Main_Food_List">
  <TD>Main Course:</TD>
  <TD><xsl:value-of select="Main_Course"/></TD>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Side_Dish">
  <TD>Side Dish:</TD>
  <TD><xsl:value-of select="."/></TD>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Desert">
  <TD>Desert:</TD>
  <TD><xsl:value-of select="Fancy_Desert"/></TD>
</xsl:template>

Regards,

Joerg

Schwartz, Rechell R, ALCAS wrote:
All,

I am having difficulty programming a stylesheet that is supposed to return the result set as a list of HTML rows in alternating colors.All of the examples that I have seen address how to do this if every data row is is derived from the same type of XML tag. But in my example, each row may come from a completely different section of the XML. Following is a sample XML similar to the one that I am using. Also, another constraint is if any row is missing, it is inhibited, and the alternating color rule must still be preserved. I have tried numerous ways of passing parameters, but have been unable to modify the the row count after a match was found ofr each item. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sample XML:

<Food_List>
<Main_Food_List>
<Main_Course>
Chicken
</Main_Course>
</Main_Food_List>
<Side_Dish>
Potatoes
</Side_Dish>
<Desert>
<Fancy_Desert>
Chocolate Truffles
</Fancy_Desert>
</Desert>
</Food_List>

Sample XSLT Stylesheet:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<xsl:stylesheet version='1.0' xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform' >
<xsl:output method="html" indent="yes"/>
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:apply-templates select="Food_List/Main_Food_List/Main_Course"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="Food_List/Side_Dish"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="Food_List/Desert/Fancy_Desert"/>

<xsl:template match="Main_Course">
<TR><TD>Main Course:</TD><TD xsl:value-of select="."/></TD></TR>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Side_Dish">
<TR><TD>Side Dish:</TD><TD xsl:value-of select="."/></TD></TR>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="Fancy_Desert">
<TR><TD>Desert:</TD><TD xsl:value-of select="."/></TD></TR>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Required HTML Output
<TABLE>
<TR><TD colspan="2">MENU</TD></TR>
<TR><TD class="oddRowStyle">Main Dish:</TD><TD class="oddRowStyle">Chicken</TD></TR>
<TR><TD class="evenRowStyle">Side Dish:</TD><TD class="oddRowStyle">Potatoes</TD></TR>
<TR><TD class="oddRowStyle">Desert:</TD><TD class="oddRowStyle">Chocolate Truffles</TR>
</TABLE>