Altova Mailing List Archives

[xsl] MSXML / NBSP problem and resolution

From: "Michael H. Semcheski" <mhs-list@--------->
Date: 11/6/2002 6:16:00 AM
After a few hours of testing and looking through the archives, I figured
out a solution I had not seen presented on this list.  I hope no one
else is having the same problems, but I am posting this because I am
sure that someone will.

I was working with active server pages (asp) and MSXML 3.0 to generate a
page by transforming an XML document via an XSL stylesheet.  Nothing out
of the ordinary.

The problem I was having was that no matter what character set I defined
in the XSL document, there was a meta-tag being added that set the
character set to UTF/16 ala:

content="text/html; charset=UTF-16"

This leads to Internet Explorer selecting Unicode as the encoding type
when set to the default "Auto-Select" encoding.  I added the following
at the top of the script:

Response.CharSet = "ISO8859-1"

The meta tag still comes through as charset=UTF-16, but the Auto-Select
function selects Western (ISO), and instead of nbsps showing up as ?
they display correctly.

Any comments?  I would like to hear any comments on the merits of this
solution.

Mike