Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Subject: Re: [xsl] Bug in treating an RTF by Saxon 6.5 and MSXML

From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@--------->
Date: 5/15/2002 9:36:00 PM
michael.h.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dimitre Novatchev [dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx], who should know better,
> claimed that MSXML4 and Saxon exhibit a bug in their handling of
RTFs.

> The quoted lines are all valid, as far as I can see, because $arg1 is
> not an RTF. (I say "as far as I can see", because I haven't really
> worked out what arguments are being supplied to this template).

Yes, Dimitre Novatchev ***knows better*** -- the value passed in $arg1
is an RTF.

Here's the template with the offending lines again:

    <xsl:template match="str-split2words-func:*">
      <xsl:param name="arg1" select="/.."/>
      <xsl:param name="arg2"/>

<!--Right--> <xsl:copy-of select="vendor:node-set($arg1)/*[1]"/>
<!--Err--> <xsl:copy-of select="$arg1/word[position() != last()]"/>

      <xsl:choose>
<!--Err--> <xsl:when test="contains($arg1/*[1], $arg2)">
<!--Err-->  <xsl:if test="string($arg1/word[last()])">
<!--Err-->   <xsl:copy-of select="$arg1/word[last()]"/>
           </xsl:if>
          <word/>
        </xsl:when>
        <xsl:otherwise>
<!--Err-->   <word><xsl:value-of
                select="concat($arg1/word[last()], $arg2)"/></word>
        </xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:template>

Look at the line starting with <!--Right-->

Why do you think I had to add the vendor:node-set() conversion there?

The answer is simple -- because SAXON 6.5 (correctly!) issued an error
message for this line.

However, after I corrected this line, SAXON6.5 did not issue any errors
for the following <!--Err--> lines.

Mike, you may try it immediately -- just change this line:

<!--Right--> <xsl:copy-of select="vendor:node-set($arg1)/*[1]"/>

to this:

<!--Err--> <xsl:copy-of select="$arg1/*[1]"/>

and you'll immediately get the correct error message from Saxon.

This proves that the error message must be given for the following
<!--Err--> lines -- and the bug is that no error message is issued on
any of them.

And of course, feeding this example to a more conformant XSLT processor
(in this case XalanJ-2.3) also shows that at all these lines there's an
illegal manipulation of an RTF as if it were a node-set.

So do I still need to know better?

If this bug continues to be there in future versions, I'll be forced to
use XALAN for development and testing, as it correctly catches more
errors. This will guarantee for me that something that works on XALAN
will work on less conformant processors.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.