Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] xsl:number

From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@---------------->
Date: 2/14/2002 7:00:00 AM
Frank,

At 11:16 AM 2/14/02, you wrote:
We need to generate a fairly reshuffled version of
that as output (and with lots of layout, btw), i.e.

        <doc>
                <chap id="m">1. ..</chap>
                <chap id="2">2. ..</chap>
                <chap id="3">3. ..</chap>
                ..
                <chap id="4">(n-1). ..</chap>
                <chap id="1">n. ..</chap>
        <doc>

The reshuffling depends on complex criteria and is content
based. What we'd like to have is a monotone increasing number
for the output chapters, with hierarchical numbers for subchapters
(not depicted above). It seems like xsl:number is not an
appropriate tool for that?!

No, but since it appears it would be the tool if not for the reshuffling, I
agree that a two-pass approach seems like a clear and simple way to go.

The only solutions I can think of are either based on feeding
the output of one stylesheet into another one or on using xslt1.1,
i.e. builing an ordered nodeset first and processing this a
second time, which is essentially using two stylesheets.

I wonder if there is a "purer" way to do it.

Is there any practical reason why you can't do that? It doesn't seem
"impure" to me: rather purer, in fact, than writing some monster code to
infer numbering based on some order not expressed directly in the document.

Where's David C. when you need him?

Cheers,
Wendell