Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: Assignment no, dynamic scoping si (was: Re: [xsl] RE: Wishes for XSL revisions ...

From: David Carlisle <davidc@--------->
Date: 1/1/2002 3:14:00 AM
> The only way XSLT gives you to deal with that problem is to
> make *every* of those layout parameters explicit parameters
> to *every* template.

"only" ?

if they are fixed for a given run as is probably the case for your
text width example, then they can be "global variablesd (or parameters).

Also if you find declaring loits of parameters inconvenient you always
have the option of just declaring one tree valued parameter and
extracting whatever data you need from that. (This is easier to set up
in xslt 2.0 draft but is also perfectly possible in xslt 1.0)

I'm not saying dynamic scope is necessarily a bad idea, although I don't
think it would fit so easily into the current xslt design, but your
arguments for adding such a feature are not strengthened if you
over-state the problems with the current design.

David