Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] saxon in batch file for lots and lots of xml files

From: Jiri Jirat <Jiri.Jirat@------------>
Date: 1/29/2002 1:12:00 AM
Hello,
 I think you will find our "saxonserver" useful.
See:
http://zvon.org/ZvonSW/saxonserver/Output/index.html

"..Saxonserver is a server, which gets data directly via TCP and
performs XSLT transformation using saxon. Saxonclient is a perl script,
which sends the filenames or URLs of XML and XSLT files, and pairs of
parameters to the server. The only purpose is to avoid starting Javawith
each transformation, which represents a constant delay about 2 - 3
seconds. Thus when you perform one thousand transformations you can save
nearly one hour of your precious time .."

We use saxonserver+saxonclient each day and the speed up is incredible.

Regards
Jirka

Michael Kay wrote:

Ouch!

Write a Java main program to control this rather than doing it with a batch
file. Then (a) you will only load all the Java classes once, and (b) you
will only need to compile the stylesheet once.

If you don't feel confident to write this Java code, another approach is to
use the (rather simple) mechanism provided on the Saxon command line to
process an entire directory. To achieve this you may have to copy all the
files you want to process into a new directory, because the operation isn't
selective. Use:

  saxon -o output-dir input-dir convert.xsl

Mike Kay