Altova Mailing List Archives

[xsl] Re: No Subject [variable timing problem]

From: Peter Davis <pdavis152@--------->
Date: 1/31/2002 4:18:00 PM
Although this looks like a bug in your processor, assuming it is not caused
by something else such as a bug in the encode template, you might try nesting
the <xsl:call-template> calls:

<xsl:variable name="value1">
  <xsl:call-template name="encode">
    <xsl:with-param name="inString">
      <xsl:call-template name="encode">
        <xsl:with-param name="inString" select="string(.)"/>
        <xsl:with-param name="oldChars" select="'%'"/>
        <xsl:with-param name="newChars" select="'%25'"/>
      </xsl:call-template>
    </xsl:with-param>
    <xsl:with-param name="oldChars" select="' '"/>
    <xsl:with-param name="newChars" select="'%20'"/>
  </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:variable>

This should eliminate the need for having 2 different variables.  You could
also replace the <xsl:value-of select="$value2"/> call below with the first
<xsl:call-template> and eliminate the need for all the variables.

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 06:59, Jay Burgess wrote:
> (Since my previous post didn't get any responses, I'm trying again, but
> this time stating my problem purely in terms of XSL.)
>
> Below is a simple encode template for name/value pairs in the query string
> of a URL.  Is there a better way to do this?  The reason I'm asking is that
> it doesn't always work, and in the cases it fails, it appears like the
> "value2" variable is trying to initialize before "value1" is fully defined
> (timing problem?).
>
> <xsl:template name="param">
>      <xsl:variable name="value1">
>          <xsl:call-template name="encode">
>              <xsl:with-param name="inString" select="string(.)"/>
>              <xsl:with-param name="oldChars" select="'%'"/>
>              <xsl:with-param name="newChars" select="'%25'"/>
>          </xsl:call-template>
>      </xsl:variable>
>      <xsl:variable name="value2">
>          <xsl:call-template name="encode">
>              <xsl:with-param name="inString" select="string($value1)"/>
>              <xsl:with-param name="oldChars" select="' '"/>
>              <xsl:with-param name="newChars" select="'%20'"/>
>          </xsl:call-template>
>      </xsl:variable>
>      <xsl:text>"&#38;</xsl:text><xsl:value-of
> select="@name"/><xsl:text>="</xsl:text><xsl:value-of select="$value2"/>
> </xsl:template>
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jay

Peter Davis
Show business is just like high school, except you get paid.
		-- Martin Mull