Altova Mailing List Archives

[xsl] recursive output numbering

From: "John D. West" <JWest@----------------------->
Date: 12/16/2001 12:47:00 PM
I need to include a number attribute in my XML output, and can't figure out
how to keep it from repeating.

The problem:
I'm using recursive templates nested 3 deep.  They work like this:

For each Employee,
    For each Crew that employee belongs to,
        For each Project that employee works on,
            Generate a previously-undetermined number of new XML elements,
each including a RowNumber attribute.
        Next
    Next
Next

It's easy to define a variable that is incremented by the inner loop
recursive calls, so that each generated row for an Employee/Crew/Project
combination has a sequential RowNumber.  What I can't figure out is how to
make sure ALL of the generated RowNumbers are unique.  Sequential would be
nice, but not required.  Unique is required.

Thanks,

    John