Altova Mailing List Archives

Re: [xsl] xsl:param may not be used here

From: "Manny Hellstern" <mhellste@----------->
Date: 8/28/2001 11:27:00 AM
Wendell:

Thanks for the input. I obviously don't understand the significance of the
namespace. My interpretation of everything I read was that the namespace was
only providing a way to distinguish between similar tags and that there was
not inherent "functionality" associated with the namespace.

I'll hit the sites you recommended to try to clear up my misunderstanding.

Thanks

From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:param may not be used here
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:50:13 -0400

Manny,

Did my answer of yesterday not appear? You aren't using XSL, as is
indicated by the namespace in your stylesheet element,
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl". Really, check out the MSXML FAQ at
http://www.netcrucible.com, digest it, and upgrade your processor to
recognize the correct namespace,
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform". Then change your
stylesheet accordingly.

Until you do this, your stylesheets will be an exercise in futility, and no
one on this list will be able to help you. You are getting the error
because you are using XSLT syntax in a stylesheet (and a processor) which
is not XSL-conformant.

Good luck,
Wendell

At 01:51 PM 8/28/01, you wrote:
Anybody!

Can anyone tell me why I get the message shown in the email subject line?
In the XSL snippet below, my goal is to pass in the value for the the
parameter "filter" based on selections made from an HTML page and have the
XSL file select and transform a sub-set of XML nodes to fill in the
"innerHTML" property of a DIV tag. The XSL file works without the
<xsl:param> tag:

<xsl:apply-templates select="//SECTION[@Id='Terms']" />

but as soon as I try to introduce <xsl:param ... it dies.

I haven't figured out how I'm going to set the parameter from the HTML
page just yet since I can't get the parameter to work when it is hard
coded.  Any insight into how to do that would also be welcome.

XSL file:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">
<xsl:param name="filter" select="//SECTION[@Id='Terms']" />
<xsl:template match="/">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
 <xsl:apply-templates select="$filter" />
</BODY>
</HTML>
</xsl:template>
 .